"Involving myself into art and different creative works was something that I always loved to do from my childhood. During my higher studies, I choose Photography and Cinematography to convey the art and artist in me. And I must say that, whatever happens in our lives happens for some reason. Here, I realized that Photography has chosen me rather with the birth of my elder son on one World Photography Day."
Born on 6th March 1981, Abin Alex is a Photo Mentor and Photojournalist from God’s own Country Kerala, India. Being a post graduate in Master in Design (MDes) and MBA (Design Management), he is rewarded with many awards for his contribution to photography. Awarded with Visionary leader award for education and best photo mentor award, he is the recipient of Limca book or records, India book of records, Asia book of records, National book of records and many more. He is honoured by Honorary Doctorate by World Record University for Photography and is known for his Street and Portrait photography, Travel and Architecture photography. Abin Alex is also the Canon Photo Mentor for Canon India.
A passionate in Photography, he founded Creative Hut Institute of Photography in 2007. Adapting the “Gurukulam” concept of learning Photography in this Institute, he attains the credits of India’s first Professional Photography Institute based on Gurukulam Creative Hut. He is glad with the opportunity he got to explore photography of thousands of students from around the world. Moreover, he is proud of all his students for their achievements, awards and records in photography, videography and photo designing. The enthusiasm and real motivation that the inspired photographer Abin Alex spreads upon his students is apart from any words. One could find him with his students in the institute class rooms, studio, in corridor, in open space and in campus every day, sharing his experiences in the field and cheering up his students.
Abin Alex has taken initiative the photography course curriculum and has been a vital part in the development of 'KGTE Photography Course' for the Technical Education of Kerala State Government.
One of the noted efforts carried out by him is the event where he shared photography knowledge and his experiences with prisoners at Sabarmati Central Jail, Ahmedabad, Gujarat during the celebration of world photography day on 19th August 2012. He had also conducted one Month Workshops for Jail inmates which he considers as the greatest experience and which has in turn being an inspiration for his student photographers to contribute their photography skills for the society. His efforts was encouraged and supported by various leading newspapers and magazines.
Abin Alex, one of the renowned photographer and cinematographer is the founder chairman of non-profitable Trust Near Foundation (National Education And Research Foundation). Trust founded in 2014, aims in promoting the art and skill development programs, education and research.
He was the media in-charge for the Green Pilgrimage program at Sabarimala Pilgrims, Erumely. An initiative taken for promoting eco-friendly natural colours for cultural events.
Towards the aim of promoting photography art and artists, he started the online magazine Photo Mentor. This initiative taken by him, aims in introducing the photography artists, their works and contributions in the art of Photography. This magazine stands to be the support and encouragement to all the photographers and photography art admirers.
He is a traveller too and has been visiting different places such as interior parts, wildlife locations, architecture and documentary photography oriented places capturing the best from it. Various magazines and newspapers has covered article on him and published his works. He had carried out product Photography projects for various national and international companies. He has conducted his solo photography exhibitions and group exhibitions several times in Kerala and Gujarat.
He was the visiting faculty at MICA (Mudra Communication), BRDS, INIFD, etc. and has conducted workshops in Nirma Universtity, IIT Gandhinagar, Chaudhari Insitute, Rotary Club in Gujarat and St. Thomas College Kerala etc. He has been invited as jury to adjudicate for various photography contests, competitions and workshops at different colleges, university and other campuses. His articles on photography have been covered in various newspapers and magazines.
- Documentary named “Hoofs among the wheels” that shows life of Camel in the City
- Documentary “Christianity and Kathakali, a Personal Quest” that shows the relation of Christianity and Kathakali.
Personal Photography Projects
- Stopover at Pushkar - Travel and portrait photography at Pushkar Camel Fair, Rajasthan.
- Sabarimala Pilgrims - Beliefs and Culture, carried out from Erumely, Kerala.
- Sundarbans - Journey through the Nature's wonder, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Kathakali - Indian classical art form of Storytelling, carried out from different locations in Kerala.
- Champaner Beckons - The historical architecture of Gujarat.
- Photography Workshop conducted at Pattanmthitta for Professionals in 10th August 2017.
- Photography Workshop at Infosys, Trivandrum, on 19th April 2017.
- Photography Workshop at Wipro, Ernakulum on 27th August,2016.
- Canon Master Class - Portrait Photography and Lighting Workshop, Ernakulam on 19th December 2015.
- Videography Workshop conducted for KPVU-CITU at Hotel Wyte Portico, Pathanamthitta 2015.
- 2013 Photography Workshop conducted at St.Thomas College Palai, Kerala 2013.
- Photography Workshop conducted at Nirma University Ahmedabad, Gujarat 2012.
- Photography Workshop conducted at Sabarmati Central Prison Ah’d Gujarat 2011.
- Photography Workshop conducted at IIT Gandhinagar, Gujarat 2011.
- Photography Workshop conducted at Integrated Systems Pvt Ltd, Gujarat.
- Photography Workshop conducted at Nirma University (Ahmedabad) 2011.
- Photography Workshop conducted at Chaudhari Technical Institute, Gandhinagar 2011.
- Photography Workshop conducted at Bhanwar Rathore Design Studio, Ahmedabad.
- Web designing Workshop conducted at G-Tech Computers, Kerala.
- Photography Workshop conducted at Aquarius Bopal, Gujarat in the year 2009.>
- Web designing, Photography and digital editing workshops conducted at INIFD, Ahmedabad.
His keen interest in developing the concept into still images and moving images has always made him more attached to the art, culture and photography. He believes that, “It’s not how you lived but what counts is how you lived. You spend your whole life in acquiring more and more but what you have achieved at the end will be the way of life you have spent. Knowledge is endless but your knowledge gets meaningful when you share it with others.”